Friday, March 07, 2008

Soccer or Fútbol

Would you like to play soccer? Take a look at this field. Isn't it nice and green? That's the thing about soccer. All you need is a small, open space, a ball, and something you can put up for goals, and you can play a game of soccer. Fútbol is how it is said in Latin America. It is pronounced almost like we say "football" in the United States.

This soccer "field" is just down the street from where we are staying until our house is done being repaired from the water damage. It is really hot in the afternoon, but almost every day, there is a group of either boys or men playing a game. They play soccer like we play football. It looks rough, but nobody seems to get upset with anybody else. I don't think I am going to join them anytime soon, but it looks fun. 

The other day, we were driving to the kid's school to pick them up, and I noticed that there was a group of boys tackling each other and throwing this odd-shaped ball around. I stopped to watch for a little bit, and I noticed that it wasn't soccer. They were playing rugby. I began asking around and noticed that a lot of people here like to watch and play rugby. I don't know much about it, but it is kind of like American football and soccer all rolled into one. Man, they tackle hard without any type of protection. I definitely will not be joining them in those type of games:)

What about us who are here to be missionaries in Paraguay or in any part of the world? Do we look at mission's work like these guys look at an open field? Can we pick up a "ball," so to speak, and join the game even though the conditions might not be up to our expectations? I, personally, am struggling with Spanish. I can communicate, but I really desire to be able to speak my heart to the Paraguayan people. I haven't learned enough vocabulary to be able to do this. The people here are really nice, and they have a lot of patience. So, what do I do. Do I sit back and not try to communicate Christ's love? No, of course not!

There are many ways we can communicate the love of Jesus without even being able to communicate, but we must also continue to try to communicate with the knowledge we have now. There is no more important message than the Gospel message of Jesus Christ. It is the only thing that can change lives. Do you know that there are people in your own neighborhood who are just waiting to hear that message and see the love of Jesus with their own eyes? Let's be that messenger today. The conditions or the "field" is never going to be perfect, but let's join the game today and stop sitting on the sidelines. Let us be the ones who show Jesus' love to the world. It is time to stop waiting on someone else to do it. What do you think?

Maybe I should ask the neighborhood kids if I can play a game with them.

Blessings,

Charley

No comments: