Sunday, August 12, 2007

Carts/Carretas




Here are some pictures of three different types of carts. The colorful one is the traditional cart of Costa Rica. These carts were used to take the coffee beans to the different ports for export to other countries. The farmers and indigenous people used them for hauling many things all around the country. There is a lot of pride placed into building and painting these carts. I met a man named Carlos in a town called Sarchi. His grandfather, father, sons, and now his grandsons have all been painters of these traditional carts. Carlos is 75 years young, and he is still working. He and I talked, in Spanish, of course, for about an hour. He was very nice, and he taught me a lot about these carts.

The other picture with the oxen, cart, and the man was taken on a small road near the Peace Waterfalls (Cataratas de La Paz). He was a funny man. He saw my dad taking pictures of him. So, he posed like that for this picture. Then, he waved and smiled as he drove the cart up the hill. It is a "little" different than the traditional carts, but I think it serves the same purpose. It looked to me as if he was heading home from a long day of work.

The other cart was at the Royal Rangers father/son campout. This was the camp workers and leaders cart. This was used to carry around the Roman leader, Caesar. Then, at the end of the camp on Sunday morning, they had a chariot race. This cart became stuck in the mud hole and didn't finish until well after the other carts. It was a lot of fun.

All different types of carts with many different uses. Some for recreation and some are used for working. Just like people! There are many different types of people. Some are hard workers, others like to play a lot, some are a mixture of both, but we are all important in life. There are some people who understand the importance of doing what God has called them to do. There are others who still are trying to figure out what God wants them to do. I do not know all that God wants me to do, but I do know this. He wants me to be ready for when He calls. I strive to hear the voice of God! I strive to be ready for the times He wants me to do something.

To hear about a time when God answered a simple prayer of two men from two different countries and two different languages, then be sure to read the next blog: A Simple Prayer Answered!

Blessings to all,

Charley

No comments: